Thursday, December 06, 2007

I Still Love the Book Wild Days

Last week on the CMP Circle discussion group someone asked about nature journaling and children. I quickly recommended my favorite nature journaling book "Wild Days" by Karen Skidmore Rackliffe.



I was sure I had written a review of it a long time ago, on Amazon. Yet it was not there. Hmmm. My Amazon account showed that I'd purchased the book in April 2003.

Sure enough there was the review sitting on my computer's hard drive. Yes, I have had this computer that long.

In these last four plus years I continue to find Wild Days the most read-able and the least-intimidating book about starting to draw from nature for the untrained person who feels or worries that they cannot draw but that they wish they could.

Today I submitted the review to Amazon.

I wanted to share that if you cannot get a copy of this through Amazon, try buying it from Penny Gardner's website. Penny Gardner is a homeschooling mother, author and speaker about homeschooling and the Charlotte Mason method. On Gardner's site you can read excerpts and even view some pages from nature journals which readers of the book created.

One thing I noted from my original review was I kept talking about learning styles. The reason is that within the two months prior, I had read a book about learning styles and that was fresh on my mind. I feel that learning styles are very important especially in the very early years of a child’s life. At the time I wrote the review my children were aged 2.5 and 5.5. I was homeschooling them and what their learning styles were was influencing how we homeschooled.

Look for my review on the book which I'll publish shortly.



Technorati Tags: , , , , , , .

No comments: