Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Found Great Handmade Paper

I wrote this a few weeks ago. This was what got me hooked on the weekly trip to A.C. Moore with the 40% coupon in hand.

Three weeks ago, I was at a relative’s house, a relative who I know subscribes to the city’s newspaper. I knew that typically this newspaper carried a coupon to A.C. Moore (a large chain craft shop), on Wednesdays, for either 50% or 40% off any one item which is not on sale. I checked their paper and there was the 40% off coupon.

I had to go to the town that A.C. Moore is in anyway to fill my car’s tank with gas from Costco. So off I went.

I had planned to buy something for either lapbooking or for making ATCs or homemade cards. I wasn’t sure what I’d buy.

The first thing that I found was a “collage pack” of assorted papers. Most of the papers were about 4 inches square. The package was one pound. The regular price was $14.99 and it was on sale for $9.99. I could not use the coupon for this. I also was not finding a pack that had papers in colors that I felt I “must have”. There were way too many orange sheets and also many loud colors or weird patterns that are not my style. After much lamenting, I put them down and left them there.

I then noticed the big display of scrapbook papers and cardstock which were all on sale. I have a lot of cardstock already and didn’t need any more. But at this display was something I hadn’t seen before. It was an assortment package of handmade papers. The label says “Handmade paper by the pound” (no other brand name on it). The package was a 2 pound package. It stated that the sheet size was 4 ¼ inches x 11 inches. I like this size rather than the squares as with one sheet, I can get 4 backgrounds for ATCs. These papers also had botanicals and other interesting papers. The price was $9.99 (on sale), regularly ($12.99). I did the math and was confounded by the idea of paying $14.99 for one pound of the other papers versus $12.99 for double the amount of papers. This made no sense to me. I also noticed that with these 2 pound packs, there were groupings. One package was nearly all neutrals and botanicals, which I loved, so I bought that. Another package was a lot of dark colors or primary colors, and I bough that. I limited myself to two packages.

I still had the coupon to use. I wanted to buy some brads or decorative embellishments which I think are called eyelets. I have seen ATCs with brads and like them. I found a metallic assortment pack of tiny circle shaped brads and bought that, for $2.99. But this was not good enough to use the 40% off coupon on so I kept searching.

I finally found a pack of metal embellishments. One of the designs was a train and my older son begged that I buy it. These embellishments are holiday or seasonal themed. The price was $19.99, and with the coupon, I paid $12.00 for this.

I needed the equipment to get them onto the paper. There were many to choose from and also a large kit for $40. I decided to not buy the tool this week, as I’d wait for the next 40% off coupon.

When I got home I made some ATC backgrounds by gluing the handmade papers onto cardboard from food containers (cereal boxes, etc.).

My son got into the ATCs and made a dozen of them using the handmade papers for the backgrounds and using cut out images of LEGOs and Star Wars items, from catalogs that we receive in the mail.

No comments: