Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Stayed Up Late Making ATCs

The other night I had a meeting in my home. I was then wide awake (and happy) and decided that rather than go watch TV in bed or read a book, I'd take advantage of the alone time and make some ATCs for a swap.

The swap is called, "Vintage, Pen, Paper and Ink" and requires the use of vintage papers such as receipts, lists and letters.

I am using old papers from my great-grandmother, grandmother and my grandfather. I made collages out of the papers.

I was not happy with some of the ones that I had made for this swap, previously. The problem is that I was using a lot of old lists (on white paper) and on old cash register receipts. Therefore the collages had either a lot of white or a lot of yellowing old paper color (read: boring).

I decided to try and spice up some of the old ones.

On one card I used acrylic paint mixed with water to make the paint more transparent. I painted over some of the white papers. I didn't think this looked very good or interesting. Oh well.

On another card I colored different segments with chalk pastels. I then used water on a paintbrush on top of that to make the color more deep. It looks very much like paint.

I then went to my box of papers and began looking at bunches of receipts and lists from the 1970s. I was thinking about how the papers were mostly white and boring. Then I noticed that some papers were colored. I had the idea to make a rainbow type of design.

I didn't have any red papers but I had about every other color of the rainbow plus pink. I layered the paper on a vertically positioned ATC and made stripes of rainbow colors. Due to the size of the ATC each layer was only about 1/2 inch high.

I liked that card so much that I made a second one.

I then had an idea to make a picture out of the papers. This idea came from looking at a green bank envelope and thinking it was the same color as a flower stem. I then selected a background card I made last month, with watercolor paints on watercolor paper. The color of the background was a dark pink. Using freehand scissor cutting I fashioned a stem and leaves. I chose a black color for the center of the daisy-shaped flower. I used a pale pink auto repair receipt from 1975 for petals. At first I tried drawing the petals and cutting them out but that was a pain in the neck so I just cut them freehand. I then glued down the papers and I loved the ATC so much that I decided to keep that one. By the time I finished that one it was nearly 1 in the morning and I was dead tired (or else I would have made a whole series of these flowers).

5 comments:

JPM said...

Opera Free of Banner Ads
StarOffice 8 Is Office's Toughest Rival Yet the latest version of Sun Microsystems Inc.'s inexpensive, cross-platform office productivity suite-stands up better than ever next to Microsoft Corp.'s ...
Listen, if you really want to find resources to spruce up your website, just go to:

www.webindiayellowpages.com

It's all there.

annuity said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a selling structured settlement site/blog. It pretty much covers selling structured settlement related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Susan Hanson said...

Black Caucus likened to KKK
A white Republican lawmaker who contends he was excluded from Tennessee's black legislative caucus solely because of his race said Tuesday that the group is even more racist than the Ku Klux Klan.
Find out how you can buy and sell anything, like things related to music on interest free credit and pay back whenever you want! Exchange FREE ads on any topic, like music!

DavidR said...

Did not even know thisblog existed! Happy to stop by and will be back to see what is new.

If you want to check out my site, it has to do with affiliate internet marketing tip - Internet Error. Basically, I put together a course to provide proven, profitable maketing for affiliate internet marketing tip - Internet Error on the Internet.

Wanda said...

These sound fascinating! I can't wait until you have time to upload the photos.