Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Collage ATC Set Made Today


Today I made this collage. The inspiration for this was an ATC which I received as part of an ATC Art Box Swap a few days ago. I liked it so much that I wanted to copy the general style of it.

I also was inspired to do this today because I wanted to use small ephemera elements which I received in yesterday's mail which were a little gift that went along with a 4/4 blind swap that I did with someone on an ATC Swap list.

I chose a piece of thin cardboard from a food container. I sized it to be equal to 6 ATCs, and kept it in the large size, to be cut up later.

The main base covering that I put on the cardboard was a Wendy's fast food restaurant bag which is what my lunch came in yeserday! I made the collage using ephemera I had on hand, such as tea bags, cancelled stamps and other random scraps from past ATC making sessions. I used clippings from a free sample of the New York Times which was received yesterday, scraps from my town's newspaper and some images from mail order catalogs which arrived in the mail in the last few days. I also used some tiny scraps from a 1956 magazine.

I added some rubber stamped images with acrylic paint, and painted a bit using stencils.

I used Golden Soft Gel Medium, matte as the adhesive and it worked GREAT.

When making the collage I was making an effort for it to look nice overall as a total composition. When I finished I had no idea what it would look like when it was cut apart. Rather than worry about it any longer I went directly to the cutter and sliced it into 6 ATCs.

I took this scan before the trimming of the edges was done. I wanted to be able to see what it looked like as a whole. Perhaps I should have scannd it before cutting it apart. (I will trim the edges to make them look nicer before I swap them out.)

I am pleased with the result of how the ATCs look by themselves.

I have a discomfort with using just parts of images, such as cutting a postage stamp and using just part of it. However with this method my final ATCs ended up with tiny bits and pieces of various ephemera and it looks like I intentionally used tiny pieces of stamps and such.

Let me know what you think!

Technorati Tags: , , .

2 comments:

Wanda said...

I like it/them! The whole piece would also have looked great as the background to....something.

Julie Durocher said...

I think they turned out great! I especially like "If I'm lost." What a great idea, to use a bunch of ephemera...I might have to try that too, you should do a swap of this. I think it would be a fun technique to try.