Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Nature Appreciation: Magnolias in Bloom

I have learned to observe nature each moment of the day while doing other activities. Ever since I first heard of nature appreciation and nature study as something important in people’s lives, by reading the writings about homeschooling, written by Charlotte Mason, I am surprised at all that goes on around us, most of which is not noticed by people. I notice things while driving or when looking out a window.

The other day I was going out to pick up some pizza. It was raining and had been raining all day, the kids were sick and we were cooped up inside all day long. As I was backing out of the garage I noticed how beautiful the magnolia tree in front of our house looked. It was raining, and I knew that some of the blossoms would be ruined that night. I parked the car (even though the pizza was ready to be picked up), grabbed the camera out of my pocketbook, jumped out of the car, and snapped some photos right then and there. I knew that if I had waited until after I got back it would be darker and too late to take photos. I seized the moment!

(Captions apply to the photo underneath it.)

This is the first blossom I looked at. I was trying to catch the raindrops on the blossom. This is one of the early blossoms; it is already bleached out from the sunlight. Note there are not many blossoms on the ground yet, those just fell that day, while it was raining.

I was trying to capture the coloring of the blossom, how it is deeper pink/purple at the base then gradually changes to white at the tips of the petals.


Look at this mass of blossoms, all at a low level, so when I stood there I was surrounded by this beauty.


I love how this one branch extends outward.


Look at this 'wall' of flowers!


I cannot find words to express this beauty!


I am glad that spring has arrived!

Technorati Tags: , , , , .

No comments: