Monday, January 29, 2007

My ATCs: Angel Series








Earlier this month I made this series of angel ATCs. The whole thing came about when I sat in front of the TV to watch my regular TV show before bed but instead took a box of ephemera with me. I looked through it to see if anything caught my eye.

Most of the backgrounds were a hostess gift given to me by a partipant in a swap I hosted last summer. (Thank you Trish S.!) I went through Trish's bag and was inspired. Some of the papers are wallpaper samples and some are purchased collage sheets (from Trish).

I then found a bunch of angel images that I had cut out on some other day in the past. So the idea for angel themed ATCs was hatched.

The main thing I was doing with these is matching background paper colors to compliment the colors in the angel image.

I don't use a lot of charm type embellishments or fibers or beads. If I did I can imagine many possibilities for other ways to use these angel images on ATCs.

Here is how they were made:

I adhered background papers on recycled food or product boxes with Golden acrylic gel medium.

The angel images are from a perpetual angel calendar that was on a wire spiral. I bought it at a library book sale fundraiser sale for $1. Out of that little calendar came a ton of images sized just right to use in ATC making. Although many of the images were repeats, it is irrelevant if the recipients of my ATCs are different people.

They did not seem finished as is so I decided to try the Ranger Perfect Pearls metallic powders for the first time. Some were applied with a dry, clean paintbrush and strokes and others were flicked on from the brush to the surface in 'droplets'. Actually first I put clear embossing ink on the surfact, then the powders then a coat of clear UTEE.

I then used a heat gun to melt the UTEE. If you are not familiar with UTEE it dries like a thick plastic layer. It makes the ATC stronger. The UTEE usually is a little bumpy or wavy, in a smooth way. What the surface looks like is not represented well with a scanned image.

I thought they looked finished so that is that, I proclaimed them finished.

All of these have been traded out. I think I put one in for a map themed ATC swap and another in for an eyes/face themed swap. Others were swapped out in 'ATC art boxes' on a Yahoo Group that I am on.

I have more angel images left over so perhaps in the future I'll make more angel themed ATCs.



Technorati Tags: ,, , .

No comments: