Monday, January 15, 2007

No Transparency Sheets For Me Today

I have been reading about use ink jet printer transparencies in collage and was interested.

I thought I could use some of my own photographs in their original form or digitally altered by me in either color or black and white.

I stopped at Office Max today to see about purchasing some. The 50 pack was $40 which was too steep a price for me. They also had a 20 pack with 5 free sheets for $26. That was still too steep a price for me.

I would like to play around with some sheets and imagine I’d use less than five. If I was to resize the images in Photoshop I could make them small to use on 2.5 x 3.5 inch artist trading cards and then could fill an entire sheet full, print that off, and use all those images, it seems like a lot of images for the tiny canvas sizes of an ATC.

Oh well.

That is one art experiment that will have to wait for another day.

(I was thinking of using them for ink jet copier transfers as well as to use as regular transparent images as overlays.)

I am not complaining, I have a lot of art supplies already on hand and I can work with those. It is time that I am in short supply of, really. Anyway I just thought I’d share this tidbit about the price in case someone else is wondering what those blank transparency sheets cost!

3 comments:

Christina said...

Make your own proof sheet like you would if you were going to print it yourself. If you're just wanting to experiment before buying a whole pack of transparency sheets, save your document on a cd, and take it to the copy center. They can print out one or two sheets for you and it's MUCH more affordable. Hope this helps!

ChristineMM said...

OH THANK YOU I never knew this!!

HOORAY!

See it is a good thing I complain or vent or share info on this blog as I didn't think anyone would have a real solution to the issue! I was just sharing in case anyone was curious of the price!

Wow!

Christina said...

So glad I could help! I, too, had some "sticker shock" the first time I priced transparency sheets. I was able to totally relate to your post!

I have a laser printer on my wish list, but until that comes to fruition I get my color copies done this way for image transfers. I use mostly packing tape and contact paper transfers... I haven't had much luck w/ink jet transfers. I LOVE Polaroid transfers onto fabric, but I don't have regular access to a Daylab (also on my wish list!). If only I had the money to support my altered art habit!!

I found your blogs through Judy's Consent of the Governed blog. Things clicked for me immediately when I saw you were a home school mom who also shares my love of ATCs!! Now if only you had a high schooler...

Have a wonderful evening!