Friday, February 29, 2008

New Books For Our Home Library Purchased This Week

I am happy to have so many exciting books come into my hands this week that I thought I'd share about them.

Thank you for purchasing things on Amazon through my blog. Commissions earned through my blog paid for most of the Amazon purchases. Yippee!

To inform me about health, wellness and disease prevention:

1. The Secret History of the War on Cancer by Devra Davis PhD MPH.
I just watched a BookTV presentation by the author Devra Davis. I needed to know more. I heard there is an NPR interview that can be heard on the web. This is sure to enrage and scare me.
Purchased new at Amazon.com for a discounted price.



2. Not Just a Pretty Face: The Ugly Side of the Beauty Industry by Stacy Malkan
Found this while ordering the above Devra Davis book. I am partially using natural and/or organic and/or homemade products. I feel I should know more to possibly pursuade me to use even more natural and/or organic and/or homemade products.
Purchased new at Amazon.com for a discounted price.



3. Menopause, Naturally: Preparing for the Second Half of Life by Sadja Greenwood M.D.
After hearing some scary stories from a friend I feel I need to get prepared for what it is in store. I'm not so worried as to buy a new book, but when I stumbled upon this at the library's used book shelf for 50 cents the other day so I picked it up. If this is not useful I'll put it on my PaperBackSwap bookshelf for swapping.



4. In the education realm---
Dumbing Down Our Kids: Why American Children Feel Good About Themselves But Can't Read, Write or Add by Charles J. Sykes.
I heard of another book this author wrote over on the Why Homeschool blog and I put that other one on my Amazon Wish List. This one popped up as one that their artificial intelligence program thought I would be interested in. I feel that I need to know a little more about what is wrong with the American public education systen RIGHT NOW (not about what was wrong in the 1960s or 1970s). I also need this as a reminder that homeschooling should be continued in our family. We're have a bit of a rough patch and the other side of the fence is looking tempting to all of us.
Purchased new at Amazon.com for a discounted price.



To deflect the stress and seriousness in my life and in what I read, I bought two artsy books.

5. Living the Creative Life: ideas and inspiration from working artists by Rice Freeman-Zachery.
I love reading about art process, the intention behind certain artworks and how and why people do what they do. I think this book is what that is about. I have read it praised by others who share the art circles I travel in.
Purchased new at Amazon.com for a discounted price.



6. Art Making, Collections & Obsession: An Intimate Exploration of the Mixed-Media Work and Collections of 35 Artists by Lynne Perrella.
More of the same from #4, in a large format, hardcover book. I have heard good things about this book too.
Purchased new at Amazon.com for a discounted price.



7. The current issue of the new magazine: Artful Blogging by Stampington & Co. Purchased at Joanne's Fabric & Craft store with a 50% off coupon.



8. Current issue of the magazine Somerset Studio by Stampington & Co. Purchased at Joanne's Fabric and Craft store. I probably should just subscribe to this and stop buying it by the issue. I've been reading this for over two years now.



9. Galileo Astronomer and Physicist, Great Minds of Science Series by Paul Hightower.
An educational book for use in our homeschool. Local classical method homeschoolers I know praise this series of biographies for use in the middle school grades. Normally these sell for over $25, as they are only published in the School and Library Binding. This one I snapped up used on Amazon Marketplace for the bargain price of $7 plus shipping. If I could afford it I'd buy the whole series. Too bad these are not in our local public libraries.



10. The Big Burn by Jeanette Ingold.
Historical Fiction "juvenile literature" featuring teenagers in Montana and Idaho in 1910 while wildfires blaze.
Purchased this because I stumbled upon a like new copy at my library's ongoing book sale shelf where everything is 50 cents. It sounds very good. I can't go wrong with a 50 cent purchase, can I?

No comments: