Monday, November 28, 2005

Carol Duvall Show Techniques Free Online

I discovered that every Carol Duvall show has an archive on the internet. Each show’s segment is written up in word form accompanied by step by step color photographs.

These are useful if you are curious about a technique but didn’t even know that it aired on her show. Obviously they are also handy if you watched her show and now want to print off directions to use now.

I used to dislike the Carol Duvall show. However now I TiVo it and am enjoying some of the segments. The great thing about TiVo is if the art or craft is something I am disinterested in, I hit the fast forward button and/or the delete button.

On some shows Carol shows and in-depth interview with a professional artist. We see interviews with the artist, see how they do their (complicated) and beautiful work. We often see them at work in their studios. At the end we hear how we can buy it and what it costs. I love it when the prices range from $50 to $5K—only in America!

Also I think it is interesting and funny that my kids love to watch this show with me. They also have begun watching it alone (!!) during the time when they’d normally watch a “kid show”. They are both inspired to try different things.

This weekend they are asking me to make them sock monkeys and sock animals. Sock reindeer making was featured on one show.

I loved a different segment about using rubber stamps to put acrylic metal paint on the windows for holiday decorations. The demo was called “Snowflake Window”. Here are the directions and a photo.

They showed snowflake shapes being put on house windows. All they did was mix ‘acrylic metal paint’ with optional sparkle acrylic craft paint and optional blue acrylic craft paint and stamp it on. When you want to remove it you soak a wet paper towel on it and it lifts off.

I looked at A.C. Moore for “acrylic metal paint” yesterday, and couldn’t find any. They had said this was an acrylic paint which normally gets used on metal surfaces. I found regular acrylic paint with metallic colors (which I don’t think is the same thing). Hmmm.

Here is a show archive about using unmounted rubber stamps. I wish I'd known to look there instead of searching for quite some time using an internet search engine a few weeks ago.

Enjoy!

No comments: