Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Currently Reading “Altered Books Workshop” by Bev Brazelton

This week I decided to try out my idea for buying books on art techniques using discount coupons for A.C. Moore and Michael’s (craft stores). While visiting my parents (who subscribe to the nearby city newspaper) I checked and found that A.C. Moore (a craft store chain) had a 50% off one non-sale item coupon, and Michael’s had a 40% off a non-sale item coupon. So I clipped them.

Yesterday I went shopping. A.C. Moore and Michael’s are about a 5 minute drive away from each other, so I went to both in one day.

I was looking for the various books by Beth Cote. I didn’t find any of Beth Cote’s books. Darn. I am surprised that neither store carries her books!

At A.C. Moore I picked up “Altered Books Workshop: 18 creative techniques for self-expression” by Bev Brazelton. The full retail is $19.99, so I paid $10.00.

I have not made any altered books (yet). I bought this because many of the same paint and collage techniques can be used on ATCs.

I began reading it last night and have read it at nearly every opportunity that I have had today. I am more than half-way through it.

One thing I have learned so far is that the look that I have wanted to get is done with glazes. These are a type of acrylic medium that is clear. You can add any color of acrylic paint to it to tint it. These dry transparent. This is what my collage ATCs are missing. I have felt sometimes that my images are too bright or too new looking. Other times I like the image but feel that in its’ original paper color it is dull. I now know how to use glazes (by the book). I can’t wait to get my hands on some glaze so I can give this a try in real life.

Also of course, now I want to try making an altered book. So many things to do, so little time.

Oh, the other book I bought at Michael’s was "Collage Discovery Workshop: Make Your Own Collage Creations Using Vintage Photos, Found Objects and Ephemera" by Claudine Hellmuth. This book retails for $22.99 so I got it for 40% off = $13.79. I haven’t looked at it yet. I will blog about it after I read it.

In the meantime I had bid on some Beth Cote books on eBay but lost the auctions. Oh well, I will try again if I find any more of Beth Cote’s books on eBay (ooh—I should try half.com as well!).

No comments: