Friday, December 23, 2005

My First ATC: Dads Tune In



This was the very first ATC that I made. This collaged piece was made with cut outs from O (Oprah) Magazine and from Mothering magazine. While making it my husband and I were having a conversation about some of the fathers that he knows who are really disconnected from their children.

The priceless comment refers to the fact that fathers are priceless. Fathers should be more than just money-providers for their families.

We both feel that it is best for children and families when the mothers AND FATHERS are connected to their children.

Research also shows that these close connections help reduce children's stress, raise self-esteem, contribute to less drug and alcohol use in minors. Additionally depression rates in teenagers and suicide rates in teens who are closely connected with their parents are less. If this is a topic that interests you I suggest reading books by Dan Kindlon.

No comments: